Accommodation - University of Leeds

Behaviour, Rules & Regulations

Rent and Utilities

We acknowledge that having fun is part of University life, but your idea of fun could be impeding on the right of your fellow tenants to enjoy quiet, clean and safe accommodation. Here are some important rules and guidelines for you to follow. If you break these rules you may be subject to the disciplinary procedures outlined in the Taught Students' Handbook.


  • You must pay your rent by the agreed instalment dates. You must ensure that you pay your bill promptly whichever method of payment you choose. An administration charge of £20 will be added to your bill if you do not pay on time, and a further £20 for each month that your account remains unpaid. If you move out early you will still have to pay the rent, unless a suitable replacement is found to take your room
  • You cannot sublet your room/flat without written permission from the Accommodation Office
  • You must move out of the residence if you stop being a student

Utility bills

  • You must not change utility suppliers unless you are responsible for paying utility costs and have the permission of Residential Services
  • If you have a telephone or internet connection installed you are responsible for paying all charges

Television Licence

  • You need a TV Licence if you're watching or recording television programmes as they're being shown on TV. This applies whatever device you're watching on - a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or games console, and however you're receiving the programmes - via an aerial, satellite, cable or streaming through the internet.
  • It's the law, and anyone in University of Leeds accommodation who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV Licence is at risk of prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.
  • If you are watching the TV supplied in the communal kitchen areas at St Mark's, Charles Morris Hall, Central Village or Leodis then you do not need a TV Licence. If you have a TV in your bedroom at any residence then you are responsible for buying a TV Licence.
  • A colour TV Licence costs £145.50. There are lots of different ways to pay - all in one go or spreading the cost weekly, monthly or quarterly. Just choose whatever's best for you.
  • If you're leaving your halls and moving back home for the summer, there's a good chance you won't need your TV Licence if there's one at home. If there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you can get a refund for the unused quarter of your licence. If you'd like a refund or further information, simply click on the following link: TV Licensing for students or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.
  • If you only ever watch catch-up TV services such as iPlayer, 4oD and ITV Player, or only watch Blu-rays, DVDs or downloaded videos, you don't need a TV Licence.
  • If you think you don't need a TV Licence, you can find out more information and let them know here
  1. Respect for others
  2. Respect for your accommodation
  3. Rent and Utilities
  4. Cars and bikes
  5. Guests
  6. Drugs