The University's Security Service operates 24-hours a day, every day of the year, however we advise students to stay as safe as possible by following these simple tips.
- If you're going to be away from your room, no matter what floor you live on, close your windows, lock your doors and make sure valuables are out of sight. It's not a good idea to prop open doors (it's a fire hazard anyway) or windows.
- Don't let anybody you don't know into your block, even if they look as if they might be a resident. Ask them to wait while you find the person they want to visit. If you see a stranger wandering around the site, find out if they should be there by asking politely whether or not you can help them. Report anyone you think is acting suspiciously to Security Services on 0113 343 5495.
- Don't let people bearing leaflets into the site or blocks and don't hand out flyers yourself - leafleting and fly posting is prohibited on University premises.
- Guests aren't allowed on the site unless you are with them, so make arrangements to meet your visitors at a set time and place.
- Keep your possessions safe: make sure it is security marked. Our Student Liaison Police Officer can help with marking property - speak to your Residence Office or visit Knowledge Leeds. If you own a bicycle, lock it with a solid 'D'-lock. If you have a car, avoid leaving valuable items on display - they will attract thieves.
- Never label your keys or entry card with your address and never put keys in a bag that contains anything with your address on it. Tell your Residence Office straight away if you lose your keys, key fob, or swipe card. Never give your key or card to anybody else. If they've lost theirs they should get a replacement.
- Lost property is kept at your Residence Office. Anything not claimed within a month is forwarded to University Security Services. If you find a key or entry card on site please hand it in to the subwarden on duty or to residence staff.
- There is an increased risk of thefts from residences and cars during moving in weekend. Security patrols, have an increased presence during the first few days.
- All University of Leeds accommodation is covered by the Residence Watch Scheme. University Security officers patrol our sites throughout the year, accompanied by dogs.
- the Knowledge website provides lots of great advice on keeping you and your belongings safe
Useful contacts:Security Control Room, 175 Woodhouse Lane (near the University entrance barrier)
Tel: (0113) 343 5494 (non-emergencies)
or (0113) 343 2222 (emergencies only)