Coronavirus (covid-19) FAQs for applicants

We know that the current situation with coronavirus (covid-19) raises a lot of questions for applicants. We’ve gathered some information below to answer frequently asked questions by applicants about your accommodation from September. 

Information published is correct at the time of posting. This is a rapidly changing situation so please keep checking back for updates. 

Updated 10 June 2020 4.45pm


Moving into University accommodation

Changes to your requirements

Living in University accommodation


Has the deadline for applications for 2020/21 accommodation changed? 

All of the accommodation deadlines are available here and will be kept up to date.  

Can I still I apply for university accommodation?

Yes, please see the deadlines and applications page for more details. We aim to make the application process as easy as possible and we have options for accommodation whatever your level of study. Find out what type of accommodation is available here.

Moving into University accommodation

When will I be able to move into my accommodation?

UK students – to enable you to move into accommodation safely you will be invited to book a timeslot for your arrival after you have received your accommodation contract.  

If you’re an international student who needs to arrive earlier than your contract start date, you will be able to move into your room from 1 September 2020. We will not start charging you for your accommodation until your contract start date. Once you have confirmed your travel arrangements please get in touch with to advise when you will be arriving.

If I’m required to self-isolate after travelling to the UK, what will happen? 

We anticipate being able to support international students who will be staying in University accommodation if there is a requirement for you to self-isolate on entry into the UK. We are currently looking at how we can facilitate this and will update these FAQs as soon as more information is available.

More information on what self-isolating when you travel to the UK involves is available from the government.

If I check in late, can I get a refund for part of the tenancy period that I missed?

If you cannot travel to Leeds to be here for the start of your course, but are still a registered student and expect to come to campus at some stage in the future, we will either (depending on the availability of bedrooms):

  • hold your room for you until you can arrive; or
  • release you from your accommodation contract. You will need to contact us when you know you can you travel and we will do our best to find new accommodation for you at this point.

Changes to your requirements

Will you refund my accommodation deposit if I cannot study with you due to coronavirus (covid-19)?

Every student who accepts a contract for University of Leeds accommodation must pay a deposit within 4 days of the offer of accommodation. We will refund your deposit if you are unable to take up your place at the University for reasons relating to coronavirus (covid-19). 

Will my accommodation arrival date and contract be flexible if the start of my course is postponed? 

If the start of your course is postponed, the University will contact you to let you know. If this happens, please get in touch with to advise the new date you will need your accommodation from. We will then amend your contract so you only have to pay for the time you need your accommodation for. 

Will I receive a refund if I have to leave my accommodation and return home early due to a second wave of coronavirus (covid-19)? 

Our student accommodation contracts are fixed term. However, if you are required by either your government, the UK government or the University of Leeds to leave your University allocated accommodation, then you will be able to vacate your room and we will not charge you rent from the date that you move out. 

Will I be able to cancel my accommodation if I’m not able to study on campus because of government travel restrictions? 

Yes, you will be able to cancel your contract for accommodation if you are prevented by your government or the UK government from travelling to or within the UK due to coronavirus (covid-19) restrictions. Contract terms will apply.   

Living in University accommodation

What welcome activities will be available? 

We are currently reviewing welcome activities and programmes for all incoming students, regardless of start date. These will be confirmed later. 

What support services are available in residences? 

Our dedicated Residence Life team will provide personalised online, telephone and face-to-face services to support you in situations when you might need some tailored help to manage a problem like reporting illness or taking care of yourself if you can’t go out.

There is also other support available to you in the University.

What can I do to follow social distancing guidelines? 

You will be required to follow the government’s rules on social distancing. You will also be required to follow University rules and guidance.

For the most up-to-date advice, visit the NHS website.

How will social distancing be implemented in University accommodation? 

We will be putting arrangements in place to enable you to move into your accommodation whilst observing social distancing including a phased and contactless arrivals process. We will also provide you with advice and guidance on social distancing within your residence at your virtual welcome talks.

Our staff and contractors will take care to observe government guidance whilst working in your flat and throughout the residences.

Once you move into your flat you will become part of a new student household. Please be considerate and look after one another to create a household and an environment where you will feel comfortable and secure together. 

We will continue to monitor government guidance and advice, and we may need to introduce further social distancing measures if required.

Will I be allowed visitors to my residence?

We will continue to monitor government guidelines and advice on people gathering within properties. Relative to that guidance we may be obliged to put restrictions on you having visitors in your accommodation.  

What should I do if I think I have coronavirus and have to self-isolate in University accommodation? 

The current government advice is to self-isolate if:

  • you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste).
  • you're waiting for a coronavirus test result.
  • you've tested positive for coronavirus – this means you have coronavirus.
  • you live with someone who has symptoms, is waiting for a test result or has tested positive.

For further information and guidance please see the government advice in the link above. 

If you live in University accommodation, you will need to let us know if you have to self-isolate. Our Residence Life team will then get in touch and support you throughout your period of self-isolation. This will include regular checks on how you are doing, arranging for deliveries of meals and anything else you need.

The Counselling and Wellbeing Service will also offer free professional and confidential counselling, wellbeing, and mental health support if you need their help.

We would also advise the following:

  • keep in regular contact with friends and family by phone.
  • avoid using common areas in your accommodation (apart from your shared kitchens & washrooms).
  • in the event of a fire alarm, please evacuate the building as you would normally, but where possible, keep at least 2 metres away from other people.