Pre-sessional language students

Postgraduate pre-sessional students

You are guaranteed a place in University of Leeds accommodation if you:

  • are an international postgraduate (ie you pay tuition fees at the international rate), and
  • are a new student to Leeds, and
  • require single accommodation.

We can help you by offering:

  • a choice of contract lengths
  • flexible payment methods
  • rents that include energy charges, internet access and membership of The Edge sports facility
  • a 24-hour security service
  • insurance cover for your personal possessions (terms and conditions apply)
  • help and support from wardens and resident subwardens

Residences for postgraduates

We have a number of residences that are suitable for postgraduates, you can view our accommodation here and compare costs

Read the information below and then submit the application form by 1 July 2017. To apply go to Pre-sessional language students overview.

What happens next?

If you are attending a pre-sessional course and you have applied for term-time accommodation before 1 July 2017, we will email a 2017 - 2018 University of Leeds residence contract to you by 10 July 2017. This contract is for a specific room at a University of Leeds residence.

Within 4 days of you receiving the emailed contract you must accept the contract and pay the £200 deposit. If you do not do this within 4 days, the offer will expire and the room will be offered to another student. You may not receive a second offer. 

Your contract obligations

Important! When you sign a University of Leeds residence contract, it is legally binding and you are agreeing to pay the full rent and for the full period in the contract. We will not shorten the length of the residence contract. Similarly, if you select a shorter contract, we may not be able to extend your stay in the same room and you may need to move to another residence. So, please consider carefully before you sign your contract how long you will need your accommodation. 

Please note: it is not possible to extend your stay at Charles Morris Hall, St Mark’s and Grayson Heights.

What to do if you want to cancel the 2017 – 2018 University of Leeds residence contract

Ask for written permission from Accommodation Services to be released from the 2017-2018 University of Leeds residence contract. Accommodation Services is in the Student Services Centre in the Marjorie and Arnold Ziff Building. You must do this by these deadlines:

  • If you are on the 10-week University of Leeds pre-sessional English Language course starting Monday 3 July 2017 – before 11am on Monday 17 July 2017.
  • If you are on the 6-week University of Leeds pre-sessional English Language course starting Monday 31 July 2017 – before 11am Monday 7 August 2017.

After this deadline, if you have not got the written permission we cannot release you from the contract. 

Do not look for private accommodation unless you have got written permission to be released from your contract by the Accommodation Office or else you will pay for two rents.

Private accommodation

Private accommodation can often be cheaper and offer similar facilities to University accommodation. It includes private halls of residence as well as shared houses. We recommend that you use our sister organisation, Unipol Student Homes. You can also get advice from Leeds University Union.

Follow their advice carefully. You must not accept a contract for University accommodation if you want to live in private accommodation, as both contracts will be legally binding and you will have to pay the rent for both accommodation.

For independent and free advice about renting private accommodation email Leeds University Union Advice Centre.