Coronavirus (covid-19) FAQs

We know that the current situation with coronavirus (covid-19) raises a lot of questions. We’ve gathered some information below to answer frequently asked questions about your accommodation. 

Information published is correct at the time of posting. This is a rapidly changing situation so please keep checking back for updates. 

Updated 5 January 2022, 11am 

Moving into University accommodation

Changes to your requirements

Living in University accommodation

Moving out of University accommodation

Moving into University accommodation

When will I be able to move into my accommodation?

Your accommodation offer will include a contract start date – you will be able to move in at any time from this date onwards. If you are an international student who needs to arrive earlier, please see our early arrivals page

If you’re an international student then please check our international arrivals page for everything you need to know about arriving in Leeds. Once you have confirmed your travel arrangements please get in touch with to advise when you will be arriving.

I will be self-isolating after arriving in the UK, what do I need to know?

Information on how we will support you is avaliable here, and information on what self-isolating when you travel to the UK involves is available on our international arrivals page. Please inform us as soon as you know that you will need to self-isolate on arrival through our online form.

What happens if I’m prevented from moving to Leeds by changes to local or national regulations? 

If you are a UK or an international student and are prevented from moving into your accommodation at the start of your contract because of new government travel restrictions, then we will amend your contract dates so that you will only have to pay for the new agreed occupancy period. 

Can I move into accommodation if I have symptoms of or have tested positive for covid-19? 

No if you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new continuous cough or a loss or change in your sense of taste or smell) or have tested positive for covid-19 and have not yet finished our self-isolation period then you will not be able to move into your accommodation. 

How will the moving in process work? 

Before your tenancy is due to start we will provide you with up to date moving in information either via our website or through email. You will need to take account of this information as you make your moving in plans. 

Changes to your requirements

Will you refund my accommodation deposit if I cannot study with you due to coronavirus (covid-19)?

Every student who accepts a contract for University of Leeds accommodation must pay a deposit within 4 days of the offer of accommodation. We will refund your deposit if your accommodation contract needs to be terminated due to government restrictions that are put in place to control the pandemic, or as may be necessary in other circumstances where there is a provision in the contract for it to end (contract terms and conditions apply). 

Will my accommodation arrival date and contract be flexible if the start of my course is postponed? 

If the start of your course is postponed, the University will contact you to let you know. If this happens, please get in touch with to advise the new date you will need your accommodation from. We will then amend your contract so you only have to pay for the time you need your accommodation for. 

Living in University accommodation

What welcome activities will be available? 

Our Residence Life team is providing a tailored series of welcome and induction events, training and guidance to support you. There will be a whole host of activities both in person and virtually to ensure that you can still make friends and socialise in a safe and enjoyable way. These will be a mix of virtual activities (which you can get involved in regardless of your start date in Leeds) and in-person events. You can find out what great activities are going on in your hall by following the Residence Life Facebook page and joining your hall Facebook group, using the event calendars found in your flat or going to the events tab of the accommodation portal.

What support services are available in residences? 

Our dedicated Residence Life team will provide personalised online, telephone and face-to-face services to support you in situations when you might need some tailored help to manage a problem like reporting illness or taking care of yourself if you can’t go out.

There is also other support available to you in the University.

What can I do to keep myself and others safe from covid-19? 

We’re encouraging all members of the University to take a twice-weekly lateral flow test. Free testing kits are available on campus or you can order via the website. If you do test positive you should follow government guidance and also report your positive test to the University and accommodation via our online form.

We also would encourage you to take advantage of the free covid-19 vaccination programme which will help protect you, your friends and the wider University and local community. You should have both jabs to receive the greatest protection for yourself and others. Getting both of your jabs will also help you to better enjoy your time in Leeds if some venues such as pubs, clubs or events require proof of vaccine status. The government has announced that the vaccine booster programme is now open to all those aged 18 or over. We encourage you to take up the booster jab. 

Have a look at the University’s vaccination information page to find out about nearby vaccine clinics. 

The University is maintaining some social distancing measures across the campus and in our buildings where appropriate and necessary. In residences this may include asking you to keep a 1m distance from others outside of your household and limiting room capacities for common spaces.

For the most up-to-date advice, visit the NHS website.

How will social distancing be implemented in University accommodation? 

We will be putting arrangements in place to enable you to move into your accommodation whilst observing social distancing including a phased and contactless arrivals process. We will also provide you with advice and guidance on social distancing within your residence at your virtual welcome talks.

Our staff and contractors will take care to observe government guidance whilst working in your flat and throughout the residences.

Once you move into your flat you will become part of a new student household. Please be considerate and look after one another to create a household and an environment where you will feel comfortable and secure together. 

We will continue to monitor government guidance and advice, and we may need to introduce further social distancing measures if required. Failure to follow University rules on social distancing may lead to you being subject to action under our disciplinary regulations. This could lead to a fine, termination of your accommodation contract or even suspension/expulsion from the University. If your actions break government regulations on social distancing this could put yourself at risk of prosecution. Both the government regulations and University guidelines are there to keep you and others safe.

Will I have to wear a face covering in residences? 

As in the rest of the University, we will be asking you to wear a face covering (unless you are exempt) when moving through all public indoor spaces. This includes reception areas, main public corridors, in stairways and lifts and in those communal toilets located outside of your flat. This does not include inside your flat. Exceptions to this rule will likely be made in some social spaces and gym facilities. If this is the case, signage at the entrances to these spaces will advise you if you can remove your face covering whilst using the space and observing social distancing.

Will I be allowed visitors to my residence?

You can have guests or visitors to your residence as long as you follow the rules on our guests page.

Rules around quiet times in residences, as listed in your contract terms and conditions, still remain in place so please be respectful of your fellow residents and keep noise to a minimum after 10pm. You must also remember that if you wish to organize a party in residences you must ask for permission from your Residence Life Warden – this is again listed in your contract terms and conditions.

What should I do if I think I have to self-isolate in University accommodation? 

The current government advice is to self-isolate if:

  • you have any symptoms of coronavirus (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste).
  • you're waiting for a coronavirus test result.
  • you've tested positive for coronavirus – this means you have coronavirus.
  • you live with someone who has symptoms, is waiting for a test result or has tested positive.

For further information and guidance please see the government advice in the link above. 

If you live in University accommodation, you will need to let us know if you have to self-isolate through this form. Our Residence Life team will then get in touch and support you throughout your period of self-isolation. This will include regular checks on how you are doing, arranging for deliveries of meals and anything else you need.

The Counselling and Wellbeing Service will also offer free professional and confidential counselling, wellbeing, and mental health support if you need their help.

We would also advise the following:

  • keep in regular contact with friends and family by phone.
  • avoid using common areas in your accommodation (apart from your shared kitchens & washrooms).
  • in the event of a fire alarm, please evacuate the building as you would normally, but where possible, keep at least 2 metres away from other people.

I have taken a PCR test in my accommodation. How should I send it back to get my results?  

The government has provided guidelines on how to complete a PCR test at home. Once you have completed your PCR test you are permitted to leave your accommodation to post the test kit back for your results using a priority postbox. These postboxes are labelled with a priority postbox sticker that includes the NHS logo – use the Royal Mail website to find your nearest priority postbox. Please remember to wear a face covering and avoid contact with others whilst outside your flat, and make sure you return to your accommodation as soon as you have posted your test kit.  

Where can I get a covid-19 vaccination?

Have a look at the University’s vaccination information page to find out about nearby vaccine clinics. 

Moving out of University accommodation

What should I do if I cannot return to Leeds to collect my belongings? 

We understand that you may have left some property in your room and due to ongoing travel restrictions may be unable to travel back to the UK to collect these items. Unfortunately we do not have a storage facility to store your belongings past the end of your contract date, but we have put together some information on how best to arrange for your belongings to be collected on this page

Can I stay in residences after the end of my contract if travel restrictions prevent me from returning home? 

If you need to stay in University accommodation beyond your contract end date we do have some availability at Lupton. Further details and an application form can be found on our summer accommodation page.

Please get in touch with the Accommodation Office and they will look to arrange either an extension in your current accommodation or appropriate temporary accommodation for this period of time. Email or call 0113 343 7777.

Will I need to book a timeslot to move out of my accommodation?

No, you will not need to book a timeslot to move out of your accommodation. Please just remember that when you are moving out it’s really important that you follow social distancing guidelines at all times. There will be information visible throughout the residences to help you, but please remember these key points:

  • Wear a face covering in all communal areas of the residence
  • Maintain a 1m distance from anyone that is not part of your household wherever possible
  • Make frequent use of hand-washing or sanitizing facilities provided
  • Avoid touching surfaces unless absolutely necessary
  • Observe all directional signage in place

We will have contacted you via email to advise when your contract ends, and all other information you need about the moving out process is available here.