We know that the current situation with coronavirus (covid-19) is a stressful one. We’ve gathered some information below that answers frequently asked questions about your accommodation.
Information published is correct at the time of posting. This is a rapidly changing situation so please keep checking back for updates.
Updated 30 March 2020 11am
- Will I have to move out of my accommodation early? Will residences be open after Easter?
- I am thinking about leaving my accommodation now, can I cancel/withdraw from my accommodation contract?
- I am due to be returning to University accommodation next year, can I withdraw from that contract?
- I want to stay longer in my accommodation, can I extend my contract?
- I’m due to study abroad after Easter. If I am unable to go can I stay in my accommodation?
Moving out of your accommodation
- How do I return my keys?
- I have left my belongings in my room and I still have my room key, what should I do?
- I have left my belongings in my room and have already posted my keys back to you, what should I do?
- I still have my keys, but cannot come up to collect my belongings. Can a friend or family member collect my belongings for me?
- I have left my belongings behind and I cannot say when I will be able to collect them, what should I do?
- Can residence staff pack up my things and send them back to me via courier?
- How long will you keep my belongings if I am unable to collect them?
- What do I need to do before checking out?
- I am a catered student on campus, will I still be able to get meals at the Refectory?
- I am a catered student at Devonshire Hall, will I still be able to get my meals in the dining hall?
Our residences will remain open and you will be able to stay in your room for the duration of your contract.
Yes, if you have already left or are planning on leaving your accommodation and wish to cancel your contract please complete this form by Friday 3 April. You can then be released from your accommodation contract effective as of Friday 27 March.
You will be able to cancel your contract if you have already moved out, or if you are planning to move out when government guidance suggests it is safe to do so. It also applies whether you have left belongings in your room or not.
If you have signed your contract to return to University accommodation next year, then you will remain liable for your rent for the duration of your agreed contract, unless you plan to withdraw from your course and leave the University permanently.
We understand that the coronavirus situation is affecting everyone differently and we should be able to help you. At the moment, we cannot say if we will be able to extend your stay in your current room or residence, but if you send your details to firstname.lastname@example.org then we will get in touch as soon as possible to advise what accommodation we can offer you for an extended period.
If you want to extend your contract then please let us know by 31 March, and will be able to assist you. If you decide over the Easter holidays that you wish to extend your contract, then please let us know and we will do our best to find you a room. We cannot guarantee that this will be your current room or residence.
Moving out of your accommodation
There are three options for returning your room keys:
Once you have cleaned, emptied and fully vacated your room you can post your keys into the key box or reception letter box located close to the reception area at your residence.
Once you have cleaned, emptied and fully vacated your room you can personally hand in your key to the reception staff at Charles Morris Hall on campus, located behind the students’ union.
Once you have cleaned, emptied and fully vacated your room you can post/send your keys in an envelope. Please ensure you put your residence name, flat and room number in the envelope. Please ensure you use a secure recorded method of post to send the keys.
If you live in any University of Leeds managed sites (Central Village, Charles Morris, Devonshire Hall, Ellerslie Global Residences, Henry Price, Lupton, Lyddon Hall, Montague Burton, North Hill Court, Sentinel Towers, Shared Houses or St Marks) please send the keys to the address below:
Charles Morris Hall
Mount Preston Street
If you live at any other residence, please contact your site to ask where the keys should be sent.
At the moment current government advice on travel is not to travel unless absolutely essential. Please follow this advice and keep checking these guidelines for updates. Once they have been lifted please arrange to collect your belongings as soon as possible.
Once you have collected your belongings, please ensure you return your keys using one of the options detailed above.
Please contact your residence’s site team (contact details can be found here) to arrange when it would be possible to collect your items. You will be required to show ID to access your room, so please ensure you bring some with you.
Yes, please email your residence to ensure that your friend/family member will be arriving at a time/date when site staff are available. Please remember, current government advice on travel is not to travel unless absolutely essential. Please follow this advice and check for updates to find out when this is lifted. You will need to provide the name of the person who will be collecting your belongings, and they will need to show ID to site staff on arrival.
Please then ensure your keys are returned using one of the options above.
If there is no way you can collect your belongings or arrange for a friend/family member to do so for you, please contact your residence as soon as possible.
Unfortunately we aren’t able to pack up your belongings and send them back to you.
Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to store items at our residences beyond the end of your contract. If you are cancelling your contract from 27 March 2020 and there is no way for you to collect your belongings or arrange for a friend/family member to do so for you, please contact your residence as soon as possible. If you have already completed the form and let us know that we are able to dispose of anything that you have left in your room, then you do not need to contact us to tell us again.
If you are leaving your accommodation, make sure you leave it clean and tidy. In particular:
- Empty and clean all kitchen cupboards and clear all the rubbish from your room and the kitchen, make sure you clear out all your possessions from your room and tidy it as well.
- Clean and empty the fridge and freezer, leaving it on with the door closed.
- Make sure all of the communal items in your residence such as vacuum cleaners, tables, chairs etc. are left in their proper places.
From Friday 27 March the Refectory will only be open at set times in order to provide food for catered students. If you are a catered student on campus, you should have received an email from the Accommodation Office advising when these opening times are. If you have not, please contact email@example.com.
From Friday 27 March the dining hall will only be open at set times in order to provide food for catered students. If you are a catered student at Devonshire Hall, you should have received an email from the Accommodation Office advising when these opening times are. If you have not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unfortunately we are temporarily unable to arrange room transfers.
All of the accommodation deadlines are available here and will be kept up to date.