Leaving your accommodation
When your contract ends
About a month before your contract ends, we will send you a leaver's pack which explains what you need to do when you move out. You will be advised on leaving your accommodation clean and tidy so that you are not charged for additional cleaning and where to return the keys etc. Here's what you should be doing before you leave:
- Anything that was issued to you at the start of your stay must be left clearly visible in its appropriate place when you leave. Anything left in cupboards, or not clearly visible, will be checked out as missing and you will be charged
- You are also responsible for the communal items in your residence, such as vacuum cleaners, tables, chairs etc. Make sure that all these items are in their proper place
- Remove all posters carefully; don't damage walls or paintwork
- Empty and clean all kitchen cupboards
- Clear all rubbish from your room and kitchen, and take it to the outside bin
- Clean and tidy your room. Make sure you don't leave any possessions - we will throw them out and you will be charged for rubbish removal
- Empty and clean the fridge and freezer. Leave the appliance switched on and the doors closed
- Make sure you share the cleaning and tidying of any communal areas fairly between you. Don't just expect the last person to leave to do it!
Remember to tell anyone who might write to you that you'll be leaving. We will hold mail for up to 10 days after your contract ends to give you the opportunity to collect it from your Residence Office. After 10 days, we will return all mail to sender.
Some accommodation is available over the summer vacation for students who will be staying in Leeds.Further details and application forms are usually available on the website and from the Accommodation Office (Student Services Centre) around April.
Every year we offer between 500 and 1000 places to full time students who want to stay in, or return to, University accommodation for another year. See our Returning students pages for more information.