Mains electricity is extremely dangerous and can kill if misused. Be sure you know this basic safety information.
- Make sure that any electrical equipment you use has no exposed wires and is safe to use. Look out for the CE mark, BE mark, the BEAB safety mark or British Standard number on electrical equipment and adaptors. These things tell you the item was manufactured to accepted safety standards.
- All electrical appliances must have a fuse. Fuses stop the appliance overheating and causing a fire, but they need to be the correct size – 3amp, 5amp or 13amp.
- If you think any electrical equipment in your residence is faulty, or if it stops working, switch it off straight away and don't attempt to fix it. Tell residence staff immediately if the equipment belongs to the residence, or have the fault repaired by an electrician if it belongs to you. You must remove any dangerous electrical appliances or we may confiscate them.
- Short flexes are safer than long ones. If the protective covering of a flex becomes frayed, split or worn, replace it at once. Never staple a flex to the wall or skirting, or run it under carpet or lino, and always use a single continuous length from plug to appliance, without joins. Never let a flex touch hot parts of a fire, toaster, cooker, iron, etc.
- Don't leave computer networking cables or telephone extension cables in the hallways, strung between rooms or on the outside of the buildings. It compromises fire containment if the fire doors cannot shut properly. It also lets thieves know that you've got a PC in your room. If you've got a PC, consider getting a surge-protected extension cable.
- Turn off your mobile phone charger when you're not using it, especially when you're out of your room, as they can overheat and cause a fire. Adaptors can also overheat, if you use one try not to run more than one appliance that uses a lot of electricity (like a kettle or TV) from it at the same time. Block multi-socket adaptors should not be used in University accommodation.
- Never put metal implements (such as a knife) in a toaster if it is still connected to the electricity supply.
- In microwave ovens, only use microwave-safe containers. Don't put anything metal in the microwave.
- If there is a total power failure in your accommodation contact your residence office or, if out of hours, the Residence Life Assistant on duty or University Security Services on (+44) 0113 343 2222
- Don't handle plugs, switches or any electric appliance with wet hands. Switch off and unplug all appliances before cleaning and make sure they are dry before use. The only items to be used in bathrooms are shavers and then only in the wall socket provided. Never use an extension lead to take electrical equipment into your bathroom.