What to do if you smell gas. Why you must keep ventilation spaces clear.
Gas appliances are checked regularly. Don't block or restrict any ventilation grilles or openings in the walls, doors or floors of your accommodation. Blocking ventilation can lead to the formation of carbon monoxide (CO) – a toxic, colourless, tasteless, and odourless gas.
The symptoms of CO poisoning are very much like flu: severe headaches, nausea, dizziness, tiredness and general body weakness. If you suspect CO poisoning, move immediately from the contaminated area into the open air and seek medical help.
If you smell gas inside your accommodation:
- open windows and doors to let the gas escape
- don't smoke or use naked flames
- don't touch electrical switches - turning a light on or off can ignite escaping gas
- make sure University staff can get into your flat/residence
- contact your Residence Office who will call the contractors. If it's out of office hours, call University Security Services on (+44) 0113 343 2222 and then let the subwarden on duty know as well
- don't go back into the accommodation until the contractor says it's safe to do so.
If you smell gas outside your accommodation:
- call Transco on 0800 111 999 who will turn off the gas at their nearest safety valve
- let the Residence Office know, or ring University Security Services on 0113 343 2222 if it's out of office hours
- don't go into the accommodation until the contractor says it's safe to do so.
Residents in self-catering accommodation will receive a copy of the landlord's gas safety record. Please keep it in a safe place. In catered accommodation this document will be on display.