The University's Security Services are here for you 24-hours a day, every day of the year.
The safety of our students is our priority. We pride ourselves on providing a safe environment for study and socialising. We hope you’ll find it reassuring that:
- University of Leeds residences have been accredited with a Secured Environments award in recognition of our achievements in keeping you safe and secure.
- University Security officers patrol our sites throughout the year, accompanied by dogs.
- There's always a Residence Life Assistant on duty in residences.
- All of our residences have secure entry systems and are covered by a Residence Watch scheme.
- Our University Crime Prevention Officer and Security staff can all offer help and advice.
Student Safety Guide
The University provides a Student Safety Booklet with information and tips on how to stay safe during your time at Leeds. You can access the book on the Security Services website.
Stay as safe as possible by following these simple tips:
- Be aware that there is an increased risk of thefts from residences and cars during moving-in weekend. Security patrols, have an increased presence during the first few days.
- Windows and doors – If you're going to be away from your room, no matter what floor you live on, close your windows, lock your doors and make sure valuables are out of sight. Don’t prop open doors or windows.
Strangers in your residence
- Don't let anyone you don't know into your block, even if they look as if they might be a resident. Ask them to wait while you find the person they want to visit. If you see a stranger wandering around the site, find out if they should be there by asking politely whether or not you can help them. Report anyone you think is acting suspiciously to Security Services on (+44) 0113 343 5495.
- Leaflets – Don't let leaflet distributors into the site or blocks and don't hand out flyers yourself. Leafleting and fly posting is prohibited on University premises.
- Your guests aren't allowed on the site unless you are with them, so make arrangements to meet your visitors at a set time and place.
Keys and possessions
- Separate address and keys/entry card – Never label your keys or entry card with your address and never put keys in a bag that contains anything with your address on it. Tell your residence office straight away if you lose your keys, key fob, or swipe card. Never give your key or card to anybody else. If they've lost theirs they should get a replacement.
- Security mark your possessions. Our Student Liaison Police Officer can help – speak to your residence office.
- Lock your bicycle with a solid D-lock and don’t leave valuable items visible in your car.
- Lost property is kept at your residence office. Anything not claimed within a month is forwarded to University Security Services. If you find a key or entry card on site please hand it into the subwarden on duty or to residence staff.
Security Control Room, 175 Woodhouse Lane
Tel: (0113) 343 5494 (non-emergencies) or (0113) 343 2222 (emergencies only)