A historic building in beautiful surroundings
Devonshire Hall is the only student accommodation offering catered and self-catered options. The beautiful grounds are made up of an imposing main hall, converted Victorian mansion houses, and other new, purpose-built accommodation. The Hall is great for music and theatre enthusiasts, with practice rooms available as a rehearsal space.
Most rooms have a junior double or double size bed and some of the standard rooms have a wash basin. The foyer has a traditional fireplace with comfy chairs, where you can relax with your friends after a meal. Devonshire has a vibrant and active community and you can get involved in a number of concerts and theatre performances throughout the year. You’ll even have the opportunity to experience formal events ranging from Halloween balls to Burns Night celebrations.
Close to James Baillie Park and North Hill Court, it’s halfway between the University and the popular student suburb of Headingley. The campus is only a 10-minute walk away. Nearby is Woodhouse Ridge, a seven-mile waymarked footpath and part of the Meanwood Valley Trail. There is limited parking at the residence for permit holders only. To request a permit, fill out the parking permit application form.
Read more about what you can expect to find in your room and flat.
Laundry room on site
Bar on site
Outdoor BBQ area
Music and drama practice rooms, some with piano
Gym on site
Snooker and table tennis
Squash and tennis courts
Common room with satellite TV
Limited parking available
Contents insurance included in your rent
Security service on call 24/7
Efficient, responsive building maintenance
Secure cycle storage
Catered accommodation provides two meals a day Monday to Saturday and lunch on Sundays during term time.
Weekdays: Breakfast 7.30am – 9am Dinner 5.15pm – 6.45pm
Saturdays: Brunch 11am – 12.30pm Dinner 5.15pm – 6pm
Sundays: Lunch 12pm – 1.30pm
- Our menus are on display in the foyer, and have something for everyone
- There is always a vegetarian option (a vegan choice can be made available on request), and when we're serving beef or pork dishes there's always an alternative choice
- Our chicken and lamb are approved by the Halal Monitoring Committee, although our beef is not (unless specifically requested)
- Fresh fruit is available with every meal, and a salad bar is available with dinner
- Hot beverages are available with every meal, and we encourage you to bring your own re-usable cup
- A late (cold) meal can be booked with the Dining Room team the day prior to you requiring this if you are unable to attend a term-time at the usual time
Your guests can eat with you at non-formal meals too, just let the Dining Room Supervisor know in advance. You can pay per meal at the till in the dining room.
Additional information about this service will be available for you to review in the Hall.
Devonshire Hall Formal Dinners
- If you would like to attend a formal meal, you must sign up in advance as both catered and self-catered students are invited to attend and therefore seating is limited.
- Gowns are issued before each formal dinner for you to wear. If you choose not to come to a formal meal, an early dinner is provided.
- Formal meals that occur over the academic year are promoted within the Hall and usually include: Arrival formal lunch / Halloween / Christmas / Burns Night / St. Patrick's Day / Awards Dinner
- We believe in minimising food and catering waste and have reduced the use of single use plastics
- We provide a water cooler in the foyer for you to replenish your water bottle
- We have opportunities for you to engage in sustainable projects at Devonshire Hall such as looking after our chicken coup, allotment and food waste recycling initiatives
Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) cladding has not been used in the construction of Devonshire Hall or its annexes.
Devonshire Hall and its annexes also have many features that enable the safe evacuation of individuals, including a fire detection and alarm system that exceeds legislative requirements. The automatic L (Life) type alarm system ensures that all areas of your residence are covered by detection, including bedrooms, kitchens, plant rooms, and communal areas. Other fire safety systems installed for your protection include:
- Fire containment between rooms, flats and areas within buildings. Walls, ceilings and door sets are designed to resist and prevent the spread of fire long enough for you to safely escape the building.
- Fire extinguishers and firefighting blankets in kitchens throughout the building(s).
In addition, we operate a system where local staff and fire wardens are trained to undertake proactive and reactive fire safety duties, which include building inspections and routine fire safety checks.
Self catered, Catered
En-suite, Shared bathroom
39 week contract *
£105 - £200 per week
£137 - £146 per week /
£5,754 - £6,132 total
£105 - £127 per week /
£4,410 - £5,334 total
£161 - £179 per week /
£6,279 - £6,981 total
£186 - £200 per week /
£7,254 - £7,800 total
You can compare costs of residences
shared with 2- 4 people | Kitchen shared with 2 - 7 people
Catered shared bathroom : shared with 2- 4 other people.
* Due to refurbishment or vacation lettings some blocks may open later or close
earlier than others and as a result, some contracts may be slightly shorter.
Location, essentials and travel
Marieke van de Braak
“ Devonshire is an incredibly inclusive hall and everyone is so friendly and approachable. The student committee organises so many events throughout the year that it becomes very easy to make friends. Our formal dinners are great; everyone dresses up and wears University robes to have a sit-down meal together. We have our own sports teams, as well as drama and music clubs. ”