Contract FAQs

Once you've received your accommodation contract make sure you read the Terms and Conditions carefully before you accept.

Read our frequently asked questions below for more information.

“When should I accept my contract?”​ 

You should accept your contract as soon as possible and at the very latest, within 4 days of the date of the email notifying you of an offer of accommodation. Once you accept your contract it becomes legally binding. If you do not accept by the deadline, we may offer the room to someone else.

“What is the deposit?”​ 

When you accept your contract you also need to pay a £200 deposit. This secures your accommodation and becomes a breakage deposit which we hold until the end of your tenancy. Any remaining unpaid damage charges, fines or outstanding rent will be deducted from the deposit and the balance returned to you shortly after the contract ends.

“How do I pay my deposit?”

There are two ways to pay your deposit, the quickest and most secure being option 1, our online facility.

  1. Pay online using our secured web payment facility. Make sure you tick the box for "Accommodation Deposit" and that you pay £200 only.
  2. Pay through Flywire on the Leeds Flywire site (For International and EU students)

You must pay your deposit within 4 days of the date of the email notifying you of an offer of accommodation.

“What do I do if I decide to make my own accommodation arrangements, or I want to defer my place at Leeds until next year?” 

Please contact us immediately to let us know, so we can offer your room to another student. You can ring us on (+44) 0370 1200 189 or email Accommodation Services.

The deadline has passed and I haven’t accepted my contract – what can I do?”

Ring us or email us immediately. Even if we have already offered your room to someone else, we may be able to find a different room for you.

“I’m not happy with the accommodation you have offered me – what can I do?”

We are sorry if you are not happy with the accommodation offered. Because of the number of students requesting accommodation, and the popularity of certain residences and types of rooms, we cannot always offer everybody their preferred choice.

At this stage, it is unlikely we can offer you another room unless, for example, we have not taken account of a medical condition you told us about or unless your financial circumstances have changed such that you are unable to afford the accommodation we have offered.

If you want to reject the offer, please click the reject button as soon as possible so that we can then offer the room to another student who is still waiting. We will also be able to give you advice on how to look for private rented accommodation. Alternatively you can contact and advise us that you no longer require accommodation.

If you decide to accept the offer but still want to change accommodation, you will be able to do so after the start of term, subject to availability. You should accept the contract and then, after you have arrived in Leeds, you should apply for a move or swap. Please note that we are unable to move anyone until after 2 weeks from the start of term and that we cannot guarantee that you will be able to move to the type of room or residence you want as there may not be vacancies. See Making changes for further details.

Please note that we will not usually be able to release you from your contract to move into private sector accommodation.

“What happens if I can't pay the rent?”​ 

You must tell the Student Fees team as soon as possible if you will have difficulties paying the rent at the agreed times. Ring the phone number shown on your bill or find it in Payment contacts. If you do not pay your rent within 14 days of the due date for payment, we will charge you interest at the annual rate of 3% above the Bank of England base rate on the amount of unpaid rent, from the due date for payment until actual payment. You will be expected to clear your account before the end of the contract. If you don't, you may not be able to take other University accommodation.

“What happens if I have a complaint about another resident/member of staff?”​

If you are affected by noise, believe you are being harassed or experience any other problems that affect your enjoyment of living at the residence, please contact your Residence Life warden as soon as possible. They will discuss your concerns and let you know what action can be taken.

It is important not to simply move out. Otherwise, you may remain responsible for rent payments unless a suitable replacement can be found.

“Will living in University accommodation be just like living at home – will there be rules”

It is important to have rules to ensure that every resident and member of staff can live in an environment that respects their rights and promotes a positive environment in which to study. When you accept the contract you are agreeing to the terms and conditions, which are, in effect, rules for you and us. You are also agreeing to be bound by University disciplinary regulations that you can see here.

Please contact us if you do not understand any of the terms of the contract.