Requests to exit your accommodation contract

There’s lots to consider if you are thinking of leaving University accommodation before your contract ends.

If you wish to leave because you are experiencing difficulties in your residence, first contact your Residence Life Warden to see what they can do to help. Problems can often be resolved without the need to leave University accommodation.

If you have made up your mind to leave University accommodation, please remember:

By accepting the contract and paying a deposit for a place in University accommodation, you have accepted the contract for the length of time stated. If you later decide to live somewhere else or you want to cancel the contract, you will still be liable for the rent until you or we find another student to take over your accommodation. We will only fill your room after all other vacancies have been filled.

Please note, as outlined in your accommodation contract, we can only release students for the following reasons:

  • You are withdrawing from your course of study permanently as per the University withdrawal procedure
  • You are withdrawing from your course temporarily as per the University withdrawal procedure and returning at a later date
  • You have found a replacement student (deemed suitable to us) who can take over your contract and who is not already in a University of Leeds accommodation contract for 2023/24.

Any other reasons outside of those listed above will be considered on a case by case basis only. We have included questions in the form linked below for you to complete if you do not meet the above criteria. All requests are reviewed twice per week and we aim to initially respond to students who apply within 5 working days. 

If you would like to submit a request to exit your accommodation contract, please complete this form.

Any student who is granted a release from their accommodation contract will be liable for 8 weeks of rental fees plus an administration fee of £50. We will inform you of the amount of rental fees outstanding if applicable. This does not apply if you source a suitable replacement student, however you will be charged a £50 administration fee and may be charged a small amount of rental fees up until the date a replacement takes over the contract. 

If you simply require a flat move or transfer to another accommodation within our accommodation portfolio, please contact the Accommodation Office team via who will be happy to assist.