Welfare and support

The Residence Life Team offers support and assistances in Residences should you need it. There is also other support available to you in the University.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GPev5WbcXqg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Find out how our Residence Life Wardens and Residence Life Assistants will be there for you during your time living with us.

Residence Life Wardens

All University residences have Residence Life Wardens – members of University teaching or administrative staff, who you can go to during term time for advice or for help sorting out any problems. Residence Life Wardens are also responsible for maintaining discipline at the residence.

Residence Life Wardens at all residences hold advisory sessions during term time. You don’t usually need an appointment for these. To find out which Residence Life Warden(s) look after your residence and when they are available, visit our contacts page and select your residence from the drop down menu. 

If you can't attend an advisory session, email your Residence Life Warden or leave a note with the residence office or with us at Accommodation Services.

Do speak to your Residence Life Warden if you are having particular accommodation problems (eg noisy neighbours). They can only apply fines or warnings if you tell them about the problem.

Residence Life Assistants

Most residences also have Residence Life Assistants (usually second or third year undergraduate students), who live on site. This means in term-time there's someone on hand 24 hours a day in case of emergencies.

Residence Life Assistants are students of the University of Leeds who, under the direction of the Residence Life Wardens, are responsible for maintaining discipline and offering pastoral care for other students in residence.

They provide a responsible presence and help to create a positive living environment by protecting your right to sleep, study and be safe in your accommodation.

You can speak to your Residence Life Assistants on any issues affecting your wellbeing – homesickness, a noisy neighbour, a row with your flatmates, or anything else. There's a Residence Life Assistant on duty every weekday evening and on the weekends, so there's always someone you can call on for support or advice. To find your Residence Life Assistant, visit our contact pages and select your residence from the drop down menu. 

Residence Life Assistants recruitment

Residence Life Assistants (RLAs) are a vital part of the Residence Life team and provide valuable support and guidance to students living in accommodation. Each year, Residence Life recruits a number of RLAs to support the student experience in halls. This role is open to full time students at the University of Leeds who have the skills and experience necessary to carry out such an important role. If you are interested in supporting your fellow students and making a positive difference to a students experience in halls at Leeds, then this could be the role for you. Find out more on our dedicated Become a Residence Life Assistant page. 

Other help and advice

As well as Residence Life Wardens and Residence Life Assistants, there is lots of support available to you at the University, such as: