Skip to main content

What to bring

We know you might want some help thinking about what to pack for your time at Leeds, so we’ve created a list to give you an idea. 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hear advice and tips from some of our students about moving into accommodation at Leeds!

Essential documents for international students

If you’re an international student we’ve put together a list of all the essential documents you will need here. 

Essential documents for home students

  • registration certificate (this is generated when you register online before coming to the University.)
  • course offer letter
  • passport or other photo ID. (You'll also need your passport or birth certificate if you wish to work while you are studying with us.)
  • original academic certificates if required
  • Student Finance England (or equivalent) documentation
  • sponsorship confirmation letter (if your tuition fees are being paid by a third party organisation)
  • accommodation contract
  • National Insurance details (if you have them)
  • Visa (if required)

You will also need

  • money (you may not receive the first instalment of your student loan until after you have arrived at University. Carrying large amounts of cash is not advised.)
  • one month’s supply of medication if you are on a repeat prescription, general first aid kit
  • passport photographs (these are always useful to have)
  • TV licence (if you are bringing a TV a licence is essential)
  • surge protected extension leads
  • socket converter if you are joining us from outside the UK 
  • personal touches (posters and pictures of family and friends will help you to feel more at home)
  • headphones
  • you can buy a bedroom pack (a duvet, duvet cover, pillow, pillow case and fitted sheet), bathroom, or kitchen pack from UniKitOut before you arrive. Head over to their website to order. 

There is a useful tool on our accommodation website which will tell you what is included in your hall of residence - this will help you work out what kitchen equipment or other items for your room you might need. Remember, all your flatmates might also bring a kettle so why not wait until you get here to go shopping so you don't end up bringing things you won't use?

You can protect any more expensive items, like TVs or bikes, by making sure they are security coded, serial numbers recorded and marked with your name and postcode)

What not to bring (The following things are not allowed in university accommodation):

  • portable electric or gas heaters
  • chip pans
  • fairy lights
  • LED strip lights
  • candles
  • incense sticks, oil lamps, or anything else that's a fire hazard
  • pets or animals, except guide dogs (please let us know if you are bringing a guide dog)
  • anything that could harm you or others, eg airguns or any other form of weapon, chemicals, or fireworks
  • DJ equipment (unless you use headphones)
Back to top