Welfare and support

Residence Life Wardens and Residence Life Assistants offer support in your residence. There is also other support available to you in the University.

Residence Life Wardens

All University residences have Residence Life Wardens – members of University teaching or administrative staff, who you can go to during term time for advice or for help sorting out any problems. Residence Life Wardens are also responsible for maintaining discipline at the residence.

Residence Life Wardens at all residences hold advisory sessions during term time. You don’t usually need an appointment for these. To find out which Residence Life Warden(s) look after your residence and when they are available, visit our contacts page and select your residence from the drop down menu. 

If you can't attend an advisory session, email your Residence Life Warden or leave a note with the residence office or with us at Accommodation Services.

Do speak to your Residence Life Warden if you are having particular accommodation problems (eg noisy neighbours). They can only apply fines or warnings if you tell them about the problem.

Residence Life Assistants

Most residences also have Residence Life Assistants (usually second or third year undegraduate students), who live on site. This means in term-time there's someone on hand 24 hours a day in case of emergencies.

Residence Life Assistants are students of the University of Leeds who, under the direction of the Residence Life Wardens, are responsible for maintaining discipline and offering pastoral care for other students in residence.

They provide a responsible presence and help to create a positive living environment by protecting your right to sleep, study and be safe in your accommodation.

You can speak to your Residence Life Assistants on any issues affecting your wellbeing – homesickness, a noisy neighbour, a row with your flatmates, or anything else. There's a Residence Life Assistant on duty every weekday evening and on the weekends, so there's always someone you can call on for support or advice. To find your Residence Life Assistant, visit our contact pages and select your residence from the drop down menu. 

Hall executive committee

Each University residence recruit a team of Halls representatives to support you during your time in University accommodation. They help run events and activities for all the residents, including Christmas balls, pizza nights and day trips! The positions are:

  • President
  • Secretary
  • Treasurer
  • Sports Rep
  • Sustainability Rep

If you want to get involved in the Hall Exec, applications open soon after you arrive in October.

Other help and advice

As well as wardens and subwardens, there is lots of support available to you at the University, such as: