What to bring

We’ve created a list to give you an idea of what to pack for your time at Leeds. The list is a mixture of essential items for your registration and arrival, to everyday necessities living away from home, to the little comforts to enjoy your time at University.

Essential documents

  • registration certificate (this is generated when you register online before coming to the University. You'll need it to obtain your student ID card)
  • course offer letter
  • passport or other photo ID. (You'll also need your passport or birth certificate if you wish to work while you are studying with us.)
  • original academic certificates if required
  • Student Finance England (or equivalent) documentation
  • sponsorship confirmation letter (if your tuition fees are being paid by a third party organisation)
  • accommodation contract
  • National Insurance details (if you have them)
  • Visa (if required)

You will also need

  • money (you may not receive the first instalment of your student loan until after you have arrived at University. Carrying large amounts of cash is not advised.)
  • bedding (this is not provided in our halls, apart from at Ellerslie Global Residence)
  • towels
  • cutlery, crockery, pots and pans
  • coat hangers
  • one month’s supply of medication if you are on a repeat prescription
  • passport photographs (these are always useful to have)
  • TV licence (if you are bringing a TV a licence is essential)
  • stationery
  • USB drive or memory stick
  • surge protected extension leads
  • socket converter if you are an international student
  • laptop, PC, CD player, TV, bicycle (You can protect these items by making sure they are security coded, serial numbers recorded and marked with your name and postcode)
  • personal touches (posters and pictures of family and friends will help you to feel more at home)

Break the ice

  • cards and games
  • post-its – for leaving notes for your housemates
  • a door wedge – you will make friends much quicker if you keep your door open
  • biscuit tin – sharing treats is a good way to make friends
  • DVDs – a movie night could be a good way to get to know your housemates

What not to bring

The following things are not allowed in University accommodation:

  • portable electric or gas heaters
  • chip pans
  • fairy lights
  • candles
  • incense sticks, oil lamps, or anything else that's a fire hazard
  • pets or animals, except guide dogs (please let us know if you are bringing a guide dog)
  • anything that could harm you or others, eg airguns or any other form of weapon, chemicals, or fireworks
  • DJ equipment (unless you use headphones)