What to bring

We’ve created a list to give you an idea of what to pack for your time at Leeds. The list is a mixture of essential items for your registration and arrival, to everyday necessities living away from home, to the little comforts to enjoy your time at University.

Essential documents

  • registration certificate (this is generated when you register online before coming to the University. You'll need it to obtain your student ID card)
  • course offer letter
  • passport or other photo ID. (You'll also need your passport or birth certificate if you wish to work while you are studying with us.)
  • original academic certificates if required
  • Student Finance England (or equivalent) documentation
  • sponsorship confirmation letter (if your tuition fees are being paid by a third party organisation)
  • accommodation contract
  • National Insurance details (if you have them)
  • Visa (if required)

You will also need

  • money (you may not receive the first instalment of your student loan until after you have arrived at University. Carrying large amounts of cash is not advised.)
  • bedding (this is not provided in our halls, apart from at Ellerslie Global Residence)
  • towels
  • cutlery, crockery, pots and pans
  • coat hangers
  • one month’s supply of medication if you are on a repeat prescription
  • passport photographs (these are always useful to have)
  • TV licence (if you are bringing a TV a licence is essential)
  • stationery
  • USB drive or memory stick
  • surge protected extension leads
  • socket converter if you are an international student
  • laptop, PC, CD player, TV, bicycle (You can protect these items by making sure they are security coded, serial numbers recorded and marked with your name and postcode)
  • personal touches (posters and pictures of family and friends will help you to feel more at home)

Break the ice

  • Cards and games
  • Post-its – for leaving notes for your housemates
  • Biscuit tin – sharing treats is a good way to make friends
  • DVDs – a movie night could be a good way to get to know your housemates
  • Prop your door open when you’re in your room so you can chat to your flat mates and they can chat to you

What not to bring

The following things are not allowed in University accommodation:

  • portable electric or gas heaters
  • chip pans
  • fairy lights
  • candles
  • incense sticks, oil lamps, or anything else that's a fire hazard
  • pets or animals, except guide dogs (please let us know if you are bringing a guide dog)
  • anything that could harm you or others, eg airguns or any other form of weapon, chemicals, or fireworks
  • DJ equipment (unless you use headphones)