Utility bills and TV licence

Make sure you understand if you need to buy a TV licence and your responsibilities regarding utility bills and phone/internet.

Utilities and phone/internet

Utilities are gas, electric and water. In University accommodation utilities and fast wi-fi are included in your rent, but remember:

  • You must not change utility suppliers unless you are responsible for paying utility costs and have the permission of Residential Services.
  • If you have a telephone or internet connection installed you are responsible for paying all charges.

Television licence

You need to buy a TV licence if:

  • you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

It doesn’t matter what device you use – TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone or games console – or how you receive the programmes - via an aerial, satellite, cable or streaming through the internet. Read more about TV licensing for students on the TV Licensing website.

This is the law and anyone in University of Leeds accommodation who watches or records television programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid TV licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Find out more about how much a TV licence costs and the different ways to pay on the TV Licensing website.

You don’t need to buy a TV licence if:

  • you are watching the TV supplied in the communal kitchen areas at St Mark's, Charles Morris Hall, Central Village or Leodis
  • you only ever watch catch-up TV services such as All 4 and ITV Player, or only watch Blu-rays, DVDs or downloaded videos.

Find out about telling TV Licensing you don’t need a licence.

You may not need a TV licence if:

  • you're leaving your halls and moving back home for the summer and there's already a TV licence at home. If there are three full calendar months before your licence expires, you can get a refund for the unused quarter of your licence. Find out more at TV Licensing for students or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090.